Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Relay for Life

Friday night our little fam went to the Relay For Life at USU. We've been invited to attend for the last few years, and either because we've been busy, or ahem, just ignoring and pretending cancer isn't a part of our lives, we have yet to attend.

This year we sucked it up and realized that yes, we are part of the club.

I wasn't expecting it to be quite as emotional, and empowering as it was. The field was covered in tents, people were everywhere wearing their team shirts, and their purple survivor shirts. Care givers were there with their loved ones showing support. And so many people were there just to show they cared.

Amazing.


After a lovely speech given by a girl about her battle with cancer (she couldn't have been older than 30), the cancer survivors, all donning their purple t's, gathered at one end of the track, and the caregivers gathered at the other, and they met in the middle.


This was beautiful, sad, fabulous, a bit of awful, and beyond memorable all rolled into one.


Beautiful to see so many survivors. Every age, many sizes, and I'm sure, many types of cancer. It just gave me hope.


Sad to see so many there. Don't get me wrong, I know it's great to see so many survivors together, but it's also so sad to see just how many people have been affected by it. Just.so.sad.


Fabulous to see so many people surrounding the track, tears in their eyes, clapping and cheering for those who have battled though it. As we walked the track together, I couldn't help but feel the love of those cheering. It's very obvious that these are people who have gone through, or are currently going through what we are dealing with. People who really understand the highs and the lows. Amazing (Yes, I said it again, but I have no other words.)


And Awful to see so many children there. I can't imagine. Awful to see so many people who are still fighting, and obviously not feeling 100%. It just made me ache for so many people there.


And Memorable. Travis seemed to tower over the people he was walking with (not to mention he was the only one in blue because he hadn't changed his shirt yet) and I could see him coming down the track from the start. My heart was chuck full of love for him right then. I will never forget watching him walk with so many who have beaten the disease he has. I felt (and still feel) so very proud of him.


Here's a few pics of the night.


Trav and the ladies finishing the survivor/care giver walk. They do take mighty fine care of him if you ask me. :) Do you spot Adyson and I? Trav and Sienna are behind us a bit. Notice all the people clapping on the sidelines.

And don't you think he just looks SEXY in purple?

I'm just sayin'


We joked that his shirt should say survivoring, instead of survivor.

And here's the whole fam.

11 comments:

The Hoths said...

well then, I didn't expect to cry this early in the morning....I think that you guys are absolutely amazing! I so admire your courage and faith! Keep fightin it and winnin it!!!

Ballard Family said...

So Awesome Hayley!!!

tina said...

I am just amazed at you and your family! We love you and you're always in our prayers.

Okay, now that I'm not teary eyed anymore Thanks for the hairdresser in you that can tell me what to NOT do with Jess' hair! I love that

AND I'm gonna be in Logan tuesday for a dr appt. Wanna do lunch? with grams?

Haueter Photography said...

What an awesome experience that you guys will always remember. Great post! Cute family picture! You look so good in red!

Jenny said...

Great job! I walked one year and even though I've never had to battle cancer in my family, felt AMAZING was the only word to describe it too! Keep the hope and fight going!

KIRSTEN said...

I absolutely love doing activities like that. Definitely makes you appreciate what you have and what to look forward to. Hang in there Travis ... you are a FIGHTER

Trisha said...

Very inspiring...I don't think you realize just how much!

Amy Johnson said...

What a great post! It was so fun being at the relay and watching you guys walk! It really is so rewarding to be part of such a great cause. I am so proud of you guys for being so strong all the time! We love you!!!

laci said...

I LOVE Relay for Life!! My mom did too. She participated in it for 3 or so years before she died. And the summer after she died they actually had the one at Sky View in honor of her. It was like you say, AMAZING. I could describe it for days, but it was seriously one of the best healing moments I had. Don't be scared to embrace the "cancer awareness" things! I totally know what you mean about wanting to pretend it doesn't exist but I think it's so awesome to honor everyone who's had/has it and all of us who have been affected by it as well. I'm so jealous I've had to miss it for the last 3 summers.

Katie Davis said...

I loved this. I'm so glad you share your experiences, they are so uplifting and heartwarming. And I loved the good news the last scan brought! And I love knowing you! I feel blessed! And I really need a haircut. My ends are so sad! I'll call you!

Guymon Family said...

With tears streaming down my face, I can't believe I haven't peeked at your blog in so long. Beautiful post, beautiful family as always. You guys are just awesome!